Food waste is something of a sad topic when taking into consideration that around 1/3 of the food produced goes to waste. In industrialized countries, food losses reach the value of $680 billion and $310 billion in developing countries, if that doesn’t anger you or make you want to take action I don’t know what will. Unfortunately for the regular folk like us, much of the food is wasted before it even comes in the markets and there is nothing we can do about that. However, we can do plenty of things to minimize food that we waste, which in turn will also save us plenty of money.
1.It can help you lose weight
2. Veganism helps increase physical fitness
3. There is a reduced risk of kidney failure among vegans
4. It helps in avoiding certain cancers
5.It can reduce pain from arthritis
6.It can help lower sugar levels
7.It is richer in certain nutrients
8. It reduces your risk of getting heart disease
9. It lowers your levels of cholesterol
10. It protects against osteoporosis
11. It reduces migraines
12. It helps in stress reduction
13. A vegan diet is great for balancing hormones
14. It protects against asthma and allergies
15. It makes your skin appear more beautiful
3. Sweet potatoes
6. Greek yogurt
7. Chia seeds
9. Green tea
11. Protein shake
13. Cottage Cheese
1. You should always use antibacterial soap
2. Always have bottled water with you
3. You should work out on a daily basis
4. Skip high-calorie meals altogether
5. You can substitute food with healthy snacks to lose weight
6. Stay away from fats, they will give you health problems
7. You need to work out very early in the morning
8. In order to be re-energized, you should sleep a lot longer
9. Avoid eating altogether to keep the calories away
10. Egg yolks are bad for you
11. You can overeat on the healthy foods
12. You should eat before and after a workout
13. Stay away from dairy products
14. Using waist trainers will help your metabolism
15. You should stay away from coffee
2. White bread
3. Soy Sauce
4. Canned vegetables
6. Frozen Yogurt
7. Muesli bar
8. Flavored yogurt
9. Salad dressings
10. Zero-calorie soft drinks
11. Drinks with a high amount of caffeine
12. Fat-free sweets
13. Nut Butters
1. Ice Free Greenland
2. Hazards to Marine Lives
3. Long Term Effects
4. Sea Level Rise
5. Toxicity In Oceans
6. Hottest Summers
7. Water Deficiency
8. More Natural Disasters
9. Destructive Hurricanes
10. Ferocious Wildfires
12. Way Past Global Warming Target
13. Different Planet Altogether
14. Impossible Solution
15. Innovation Is The Key
1. Mount RoraimaThis is an unbelievable photo of Mount Roraima of Venezuela which proudly stands above the fuzzy clouds. Not only does this miraculously beautiful mountain offer a spectacular view, it also offers the rarest of flora and fauna around the world. Visiting the Mount Roraima is an out of the world experience in the best way possible. Even though it isn’t supremely easy, the perpetual efforts will be worth it in the end.
2. Goat BusinessWhat do you normally expect to see when you look at a tree? Maybe a couple of birds or in extreme cases, maybe even monkeys. But, would you ever even think of finding a flock of goats just casually chilling above a tree? Thar is exactly what happened in this weirdly funny photograph. What makes us wonder is how they managed to climb up there only on their hooves. Is it super powers or is it magic? Anyway, a sight like this is sure to make your day.
3. AwestruckThe Rainbow Mountains of China absolutely looks like a vibrant painting with spellbinding detailing of beautiful colors. The reason behind the striking color scheme of the mountains is mainly mineralogy and chemistry. The base color of the mountain is an alluring deep red with unending strokes of blues, greens, yellows and so on. It is truly one of a kind sight to be seen that really proves that the miraculous beauty of nature is unending. The place is accessible to tourists so we surely wouldn’t like to pass on the opportunity.
4. Milky WayThis picture might instantly prompt us to believe that it is photoshopped. But believe it or not, it really isn’t. This is a picture taken in Giza, Egypt, where the milky way is vividly visible to human eyes at night. It is situated just behind the three ancient pyramids of Egypt. Even though the pyramids are the ones that claimed their place in the list of wonders of the world, the starry sight behind them isn’t any less of a wonder or enigma.
5. Ball LightningBall lightning is such a phenomena that is still a mystery to scientists. The reason behind this happening hasn’t been unearthed yet. Ball lightning isn’t like a normal lightning, it’s duration is much longer before finally bursting into an explosion. Its size can vary from pea sized to even a few meters in diameter. Everyone is advised to maintain safe distance from this phenomena as it is very dangerous.
6. Uniquely CuteQizai is the cutest panda to walk this Earth and very uniquely so. He occupied the spot of being the only brown panda of the world. Even though Qizai was abandoned by his mother and the entire panda community, he was rescued by humans. According to his caretakers, he is slower than the others of his kind but he is an extremely jovial fellow. We hope and pray that he finds a friend of his kind soon so that he can live his life to the fullest.
7. Undulatus AsperatusThe newest addition to the Atlas of clouds is called Undulatus Asperatus. They are terrifying and yet endlessly fascinating. These clouds can often be seen in wave formations with varying thickness. They seem to be something straight out of a horror movie and threatening of a near danger. It mesmerizes us how something so scintillating can be born out of nowhere. These clouds are usually low lying and caused by weather fronts. They are so scarcely found that they did not have an official name until 2011.
8. Struck by ThunderWe are advised not to stand under a tree during a lightning storm by many people. The reason behind that advice is clearly evident in this picture. This image taken with long exposure shows the effects of a lightning passing through a tree and its roots. The reason behind this frequent phenomena is that thunder looks for the least resistant path to go through and the moisture content inside a tree makes it a wonderful conductor. Better to stand in the open field, instead!
9. Black JaguarWe are habituated to imagine jaguars as mighty brown creatures that live in the wild. But this amazing creature is amazingly black with the rare touch of brown and golden shades. This breed is really scarce as they can be bred by two black jaguars. Black jaguars are exactly same as normal brown jaguars except for their unique coloring. Black jaguars get their colors owing to their genes, mainly. They have genes contributing to them having melanism and hence, darker fur.
10. Dressed AsWhat do you see at first glance when you look at the picture above? It must be a chameleon sneakily posing as a leaf. It is just one of many nature’s wonders that this leaf formation turned out just like a chameleon. As we all know, chameleon changes color according to their mood to fit their surrounding environment. It makes us wonder, this one probably wanted to try something different and become a leaf!
11. Awaiting TornadoA tornado in any shape or size is pretty scary. The sight of an awaiting tornado is very grim and surely lets you know that something terrible is coming. Tornadoes are rotating whirlwinds which are in contact with both the ground and clouds. You might think that the picture above is of heavy clouds coming with the tornado, but, it is in fact the tornado itself. The speed of this phenomena can be anything between 110 to up to 300 miles an hour. But fear not, they can be detected way before their arrival.
12. Nature’s WonderPictured above is the Gulf of Alaska where two water bodies miraculously meet but never mix. As known by most people, it actually isn’t two oceans meeting. It is actually the meeting place for glacier melt water with offshore waters. There is actually scientifically proven very good reasons for the waters not mixing. The difference in the water density, the overall temperature and the varying salinity of the two water bodies make it difficult for them to mix.
13. Twinkling WatersAs most of us would instantly imagine, the picture above is not from a Disney movie where the sea reflects the stars at night. It is in reality a awe inducing picture of the Maldives Beach also popularly known as Starry Night Beach and yes, it is not photoshopped. At night, this beach seems to be beautifully filled with twinkling stars. Actually, this illusion is an effect of microscopic organisms called bioluminescent phytoplankton. These organisms react to changes in the water at night and appear luminous. Sailors popularly refer to it as the “Milky Beach”. This place absolutely seems like another place to be added to our bucket list.
14. Optical IllusionNo, these aren’t two separate pictures made into a collage. It is one single photograph capturing the Banff National Park in Canada, which is known for being the oldest park in the country. The shoreline of the lake is crystal clear and therefore it creates an optical illusion separating the picture. The lake called Moraine Lake is formed by melted glacier and surrounded by hiking trails for tourists.
15. Vividly BlueSure, we know all agree in unison that snow is very cool. But do you know what is superiorly more cooler? Vividly blue ice glaciers that will leave you spellbound. Blue ice is formed when snowfall occurs over glaciers, which are then compressed and made a part of the glacier. When the air bubbles are knocked out, the ice crystals enlarge making the ice appear blue. The dense ice of the glacier absorbs every other color of the spectrum except for blue which contributes in the ice appearing bluer.
Aging is something that everyone must deal with in their lives. And while you get wiser when you are getting older, your body also isn’t the same as it used to be in your youth, and as such, you need different types of exercises to keep your body fit because some of them can be much more devastating in this age than when you were young. Here are 15 of the worst exercises you can do if you are over 40:
1. Chronic Cardio
Cardio is essential for any exercise plan, and incorporating some form of cardio exercises can be good, but if it’s too much then it might lead to increased levels of cortisol, which is the stress hormone, which in turn can increase the speed at which your body ages and concentrate fat on your belly instead of being distributed throughout your body. The recommended amount of cardio in this age is about a little bit over 20 minutes per day, which is moderate but can lead to your heart being healthier and to keep your blood pressure in check as well.
2. Standing Toe Touch
This one can be easy to see why it’s going to be bad for you if you are over 40. It’s an exercise that puts a lot of stress in your lower back, and quite a bit on your neck as well. When you are young, that isn’t too much of a problem, because your joints are stronger and quite a bit more flexible. However, when you get older, that is not the case anymore, with the joint between your lower back and your hip getting much weaker. Because of this, doing a standing toe touch can lead to injuries on your lower back that might range from minor injuries to serious ones. Because of the way your neck is suffering the weight of your torso in this position, it might also lead to neck problems. In general, it’s wiser to do exercises that will gently stretch your back without causing problems, for example, some yoga positions like child’s pose and sphinx pose.
3. Hovering Leg Lift
Hovering leg lifts seems like a great way to get a flat stomach and reduce belly fat, at least for younger people. However, older folk should stay away from this exercise because, just like the standing toe touch, the hovering leg lift puts major stress on your lower back, which can lead to pulled muscles, injuries on your joints, or even worse. If you really want that flat stomach, it’s better to do a bent knee hollow hold or speak to a health professional or a trainer to know more about some other exercises that you can do to work on your midsection.
4. Behind the Neck Press
If you are over 40, you should avoid doing the Behind the Neck Press because it puts you on a very stressful position, which can compress a very important neck artery, which can cause dizziness, headaches, fainting and even neck fractures. Plus, this exercise is not really required since it’s only designed to bulk up your shoulder muscles, which is something more in line with bodybuilders, and not your average person. Instead, you should do a shoulder roll, or in exercises that focus more on flexibility.
5. Leg Extension
Messing your knees up can be bad when you are young. It can be much, much worse if you are over 40. A simple way to do some damage to your knees and ankles is to perform leg extensions. Because this exercise requires lifting weight on your legs, it can cause heavy strain on your knees when your legs are fully extended, because they are basically the joint that is taking most of the stress and strength that is needed to lift the weight, even more so because when you are older like that your knees are weaker, so this exercise does more harm than good. A way to exercise your legs without putting much stress on key areas like your knees and ankles is to do a chair squat.
6. Sit-Ups and Crunches
Belly fat is something that has plagued humanity since modern society has made us more sedentary, and while when we are younger it’s easier to deal with it, older folk don’t have it easy like that. Sit-ups and crunches are good exercises for strengthening the muscles underneath the fat, but they don’t burn much of it. And on top of that, they can cause injuries on your neck and your back because of how much pressure it’s put on these areas of your body. A better way to burn fat would be to reduce the amount of sugar and fat that you consume daily and do a moderate cardio program to help with your blood circulation. An alternative to strengthen your muscles would be to do planks, because they aren’t as straining as sit-ups and crunches.
7. Trunk Twist
Trunk twist is an exercise which can be easily done by younger people because their muscles are much more flexible and stronger than the muscles of older people. And because it requires a lot of flexibility in areas like your lower back and neck, it’s dangerous and has a good chance that you could cause damage in these areas to the point where it would derail your daily workout program by weeks if not months. If possible, do a proper warm-up before doing this exercise, or instead, to a standing trunk rotation since its easier on your muscles.
Deadlifting can be hard on the body of middle-aged people that haven’t been doing exercises consistently. A lot of them will probably underestimate the amount of strain that lifting a huge amount of weight puts on your muscles, joints, and bones, which can cause serious injuries because of it. It’s much better to avoid doing this exercise at all, and instead focus on using lighter weights like ankle weights or hand weights. And be careful with the amount of weight that you are lifting, you shouldn’t be forcing your muscles to bear it, instead, it should feel fine doing a lot of reps.
Squats is a famous exercise for toning your legs and glutes, and it’s generally fine if you are under 40. But after this magic number, it’s not recommended. The reason why? Squatting puts your body in an uncomfortable position, it especially puts stress on your knees and ankles, which are vulnerable to some serious injuries even if done correctly. If you are using weights? It’s even worse! It’s generally better to do an exercise like step-ups or rear lunges instead because they are easier on your body and will have a more natural position than squats.
10. Smith machine and leg pressing
This exercise is basically on every list about exercises that you should avoid at all costs. It’s true that they help build muscles faster, but because of the way they are, you are basically pushing weight in an unnatural position, which means that it can cause more strain and damages to your ligaments and joints, and with old age, it takes a lot more time for injuries like that to heal completely, and can completely derail your whole workout plan because of it. So, in general, stick with step ups or ankle weights to help you tone your legs.
11. High-impact Exercises
Exercises like running or jumping rope can cause a lot of fatigue in your body, especially if you are not young, or haven’t done exercises in a while, and can cause a lot of stress and strain in muscles, ligaments, and joints like your ankles, your knees and your heels. And because of the age, it takes much longer for your body to heal, and to bounce back from long-distance running than it took when you were 10 or even 5 years younger for example, and it takes a lot more resources from your body to recover than it did before. For people over 40, it’s recommended that you start swimming instead of running or jumping rope because it works every muscle you have and provides the cardio workout you want while having nearly no downsides to it.
12. Extreme Exercises
Extreme exercises might not be for you if you’re over 40, things like tossing tires doing rapid-fire power cleans are a really intense and extreme way of exercising your body ,and while when you are younger you can take the abuse that it puts you through, it’s better to avoid those risks and the kind of strains that it can put on your body because they are going to be much worse when you are middle-aged. It’s better to go easy on yourself rather than the contrary, and to do some light or moderate exercises instead of this kind of thing.
13. Triceps Dips
A lot of people tend to target the triceps area on their body for exercise, after all, nobody likes their arms jiggling when you wave them. However, this floor exercise can be particularly dangerous if you don’t put your arms in the proper position when doing it, which can lead to some painful injuries because your upper arms and rotator cuffs have some tiny muscles in them that can easily be injured. If you still want to exercise your triceps, it’s better to do a triceps push-up or a single-arm triceps kickback.
14. Behind The Neck Lat Pulldowns
This exercise is not recommended for people over 40 to do because it can cause injuries on your neck, shoulders, and arms, which puts a lot of pressure on your rotator cuffs, and if done incorrectly, you can sustain chronic shoulder strains or shoulder pains, or even neck injuries. A good way to actually do it is to keep the bar where you can see it, and try doing this exercise slowly and steadily, changing your grip to better accommodate your needs, that way, you take a lot of pressure that this exercise puts on your body and distribute it better along your shoulder blades and back as well as your arms and neck.
15. Dumbbell Flyes
Dumbbell chest flies are quite an impressive exercise and one the most common and easy ones to do. The problem with them is that they aren’t effective enough and can cause way more harm than good. This kind of workout puts a lot of strain on your shoulders when you bring you arms below your chest, which can cause some of the most painful shoulder injuries. Its recommended that you instead to do Wolverines because it won’t hurt, and it will be generally more effective than dumbbell chest flies.