Categories
HOUNDS_Entertainment

Chaka Khan on same drug that killed Prince

Chaka Khan is entering rehab for the same medication that killed Prince.

“[I am] battling an addiction to the same medication that led to Prince’s death, ” said Chaka Khan in an interview with the Associated Press. “[I have] voluntarily entered the program to get healthy and stay that way.”

Prince died earlier this year of an overdose of the drug, fentanyl. Chaka Khan did an extremely popular cover of the Prince hit, “I feel for you,” one of her biggest hits.

“[Chaka Khan is] struggling with a dependence on prescription pain medications,” said the Grammy Award winning, 63 year old singer in response to why she was entering rehab. “Doctors have urged her to resume recording mid-July.”

Chaka Khan will postpone multiple tour dates in order to get her health on track.

According to her official website, Chaka Khan looks to return to her regular touring schedule by August 1.

“Unfortunately, I will miss concert appearances over the summer,” said Chaka Khan. “However, it’s vital that I put my health and well-being first. I know that I am disappointing some of my fans, but I also know they would want me to recover and be well and healthy.”

“Thank you everyone for your well wishes,” tweeted Chaka Khan, who entered the rehabilitation program with her sister, Yvonne Stevens. “[We] agreed we would take this journey together and support each other through the recovery.”

“We knew it was time to take action to save our lives,” concluded Chaka Khan.

Categories
CELEB DISPATCH HOUNDS_Entertainment Movies NONE

Selma Blair clears up Cameron Diaz retirement rumors

Word spreads fast. Actress Selma Blair took to Twitter on Monday to clear up the rumors that her good friend Cameron Diaz was retiring from acting.

In an interview published by  Metro News UK on Sunday, the 45-year-old recounted her latest get together with her The Sweetest Thing (2002) costar that sent Diaz fans into a frenzy.

“I had lunch with Cameron the other day,” Blair told the news outlet. “We were reminiscing about the film. I would have liked to do a sequel but Cameron’s retired from acting. She’s like ‘I’m done.'”

She added, “I mean, she doesn’t need to make any more films. She has a pretty great life, I don’t know what it would take to bring her back. She’s happy.”

But after gossip spread about Diaz retiring at the age of 45, Blair quickly made it clear that she was only joking.

“BREAKING NEWS,” she wrote, “Guys please, I was making a joke in an interview. CAMERON DIAZ is NOT retiring from ANYTHING.”

Jokingly, she also added, “And for more breaking news: I am NOW retiring from being Cameron Diaz’s spokesperson.”

Diaz has not appeared in a movie since her 2014 performance in the Annie remake. In 2015, she married Good Charlotte’s Benji Madden. The actress’ career has shifted to more focus on being a wellness ambassador.  In 2013, she released The Body Book, and followed it with The Longevity Book in 2016.

Insider sources told Us Weekly in January that “Cameron hasn’t wanted to work” and is focusing on expanding her family. “She is enjoying being at home and being a housewife. She would love more than anything to be a mom.”

Categories
Business TECH_Technology

Airbnb delays IPO

A lot is happening at Airbnb in 2018, and it’s only the second month into the year. Airbnb will be losing its CFO, Laurence Tosi, who has been with the company since July 2015. The company will also be getting its first COO and finally the company will not be going public this year.

In a blog post, Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky stated that Tosi will be leaving the company in order to “dedicate his full time and energy to his investment fund, Weston Capital Partners, and dedicate time to the several boards he currently sits on.”

According to CNBC, Airbnb, the short-term home rental company founded in 2008, was last valued at $31 billion and has been a private company for 10 years, which once considered an eternity in the venture capital world. However, this is no longer true as more and more tech start-ups are staying private for a longer period of time.

While Tosi is leaving, Airbnb is promoting its top female executive, Belinda Johnson, to the role of COO, the company’s first in its 10-year history. Johnson joined Airbnb in 2011 as chief business affairs and legal officer, where she led efforts to work with city governments and was at the forefront of the company’s many legal battles. Prior to Airbnb, she served as general counsel at Yahoo and Broadcast.com. She is considered one of the most powerful women in Silicon Valley.

Chesky stated “the COO is one of the most critical positions in any company.” Before the holidays, I made a decision about who was right for this role, and I’m incredibly excited to announce that we have appointed Belinda Johnson.”

During his tenure at Airbnb, Tosi helped turn the startup profitable, through his experience on Wall Street and his financial discipline. Tosi, served as CFO for Blackstone Group before joining Airbnb in 2015. His decision to leave the company most likely stemmed from Chesky’s decision to promote Johnson, due to their different philosophies.

Tosi’s departure raises questions about the timeline for an initial public offering, which now won’t come until next year at the earliest. “We’re working on getting ready to go public and we will make decisions about going public on our own timetable,” said Chesky.

Categories
Fashion

Ashley Graham refutes Vogue cover rumors

Model, Ashley Graham, is refuting rumors that Vogue tried to hide her size on a cover.

Graham, who came to prominence as a plus sized model, has become a talisman for a movement in the fashion industry to portray more women of average or above average size as beautiful or fashionable as well. Graham was cast on her first ever cover of Vogue alongside other fashion icons such as Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner as well as four other women. Graham is the only “plus-sized” woman on the cover, where the seven women are close together with arms around the waists of their compatriots. Fans of Graham began to question why she was the only of the models to be covering her skin. Graham holds a hand on her thigh on the cover. Many began to question whether Vogue might have asked her to do so in order to cover the size of her leg.

“I still don’t get why they made you cover your leg!! And you are the only one posing like that,” pondered one fan.

“I chose to pose like that..no one told me to do anything,” responded Graham.

Other fans also questioned whether or not the left arm of Hadid had been elongated in order to cover the stomach of Graham.

“You look amazing but I am still disappointed in Vogue … Gigi’s hand does not look normal to me … think they may have photoshopped you … god knows why!” wrote another fan.

Categories
CELEB DISPATCH HOUNDS_Entertainment Music NONE TECH TECH_Social TV

Chrissy Teigen joins other celebrities in Snapchat ‘boycott’

Chrissy Teigen has had it with Snapchat.

The model and cookbook author announced over Twitter on Saturday that she had stopped using the social media platform because of several factors– including the controversial advertisement Snapchat ran earlier this month, that alluded to the 2009 domestic violence incident between Rihanna and Chris Brown.

The advertisement was for a game of “Would You Rather,” which in turn asked users if they would rather slap Rihanna or punch Brown.

“I stopped using snap,” Teigen, 32, tweeted. “The update, the constant complaints of people not being able to find me, plus the Rihanna poll…no bueno.”

The Lip Sync Battle host’s complaints come two weeks after Rihanna took to Instagram to give a heated statement about the incident.

“Now SNAPCHAT I know you already know you ain’t my fav app out there!” She posted to her Instagram story,”But I’m just trying to figure out what the point was with this mess! I’d love to call it ignorance, but I know you ain’t that dumb! You spent money to animate something that would intentionally bring shame to DV victims and made a joke of it!!!”

CNN reports that the platform lost $800 million in stock market value after the pop star’s statement.

“This isn’t about my personal feelings, cause I don’t have much of them…but all the women, children and men that have been victims of DV in the past and especially the ones who haven’t made it out yet…you let us down!” Rihanna, 30, continued.
“Shame on you. Throw the whole app-oligy away.”

This all comes less than a month after Kylie Jenner criticized the app’s new design, tweeting, “Sooo does anyone else not open Snapchat anymore? Or is it just me… ugh this is so sad.” Jenner’s tweet resulted in a reported $1.3 billion loss in market value for the company.

Categories
Music

Drake refutes rumors he asked Muslim woman to remove hijab

Drake is refuting rumors that he asked a Muslim woman to remove her hijab at his concert.

It had been widely reported that during a show in London, the Grammy Award winning rapper and actor asked that a woman remove her hijab near the end of his show.

“I make a point every night to end my shows on tones of unity and love so, to find out that I am being utilized in a fake media story about me disrespecting Muslims is devastating to me, ” posted Drake on Instagram. “At my show in the 02 in London I was talking to 4 women one of whom was wearing a jacket and a winter scarf, I made a comment about taking off the scarf because I enjoy friendly banter with the fans. I am well aware of what a hijab is and I would never make a disrespectful comment like that in my life towards someone who is wearing one. I am proud that my closest friends and fans come from all different religions and races, perhaps whoever made up this story should spend more time learning about other cultures and less time trying to divide us.”

Drake also spoke about global division at another recent concert.

“Tonight, my proudest moment isn’t selling tickets or having people sing my songs,” said Drake. ” My proudest moment… if you take a look around this room, you’ll see people of all races and all places. If you think one man can tear this world apart, you’re out of your motherf**king mind. It’s on us to keep this sh*t togher. F**k that, man.”

Categories
NONE SCI Science

Archaeologists unearth long-lost Aztec tower of skulls

Archaeologists digging in Mexico City have unearthed the long-fabled Huey Tzompantli — a tower of human skulls thought to measure about 200 feet in diameter.

The tower was described in contemporary accounts of the Spanish conquistadores when they captured the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan, which later became Mexico City.

The tower is located at the edge of the Templo Mayor, an edifice dedicated to the Aztec god of sun, war, and human sacrifice, according to a report by The Atlantic.

In the account of Andres de Tapia, a Spanish follower of Hernan Cortes during his conquest of Mexico in 1521, the tower was constructed of tens of thousands of skulls “placed on a very large theater made of lime and stone, and on the steps of it were many heads of the dead stuck in the lime with the teeth facing outward.”

What the archaeologists did not expect to find were so many skulls belonging to women and children. Researchers previously believed that young male warriors were mostly chosen as sacrificial victims. As a result, the discovery is raising new questions about the Aztec Empire’s culture of human sacrifice.

“We were expecting just men,” said Rodrigo Bolanos, a biological anthropologist working on the dig, in a report by Reuters, adding, “Something is happening that we have no record of, and this is really new, a first in the Huey Tzompantli.”

So far, researchers have discovered more than 650 skulls that were covered in lime to cement them together. Only a quarter of the excavation is completed.

Categories
HOUNDS_Entertainment Movies

Cate Blanchett to lead 2018 Cannes Film Festival jury as president

Australian actress Cate Blanchett will head the 2018 Cannes Film Festival jury as president, succeeding Spanish director Pedro Almodovar and becoming the 12th woman to take the role, festival organizers confirmed on Wednesday.

“We’re very pleased to welcome a rare and unique artist with talent and conviction,” Cannes president Pierre Lescure and delegate general Thierry Fremaux said in a joint statement to the Guardian. “Our conversations this autumn convince us she will be a committed president, and a passionate and generous spectator.”

Blanchett is a two-time Oscar winner for her roles in Blue Jasmine and the Aviator. This past year she was one of the 300 influential women who launched a campaign against sexual harassment in the workplace called the Times Up initiative. She was one of the first women to speak out against ex-film producer Harvey Weinstein after the numerous allegations of sexual misconduct made against him.

“I am humbled by the privilege and responsibility of presiding over this year’s jury,” Blanchett said in a statement, “This festival plays a pivotal role in bringing the world together to celebrate story; that strange and vital endeavour that all peoples share, understand and crave.”

As jury president, Blanchett will preside over the competition for the 71st festival, which takes place May 8 to May 19.  She will lead a panel, usually made up of actors and film-makers, who will choose the winner of the Palme d’Or – the influential Cannes award for best film. They will also select the festival’s other main prizes.

“I have been to Cannes in many guises over the years; as an actress, producer, in the marketplace, the Gala-sphere and in Competition,” she continued, “but never solely for the sheer pleasure of watching the cornucopia of films this great festival harbors.”

Categories
HOUNDS_Entertainment

Casper Smart happy for Jennifer Lopez after breakup

Casper Smart said that he is happy for Jennifer Lopez having moved on.

Performer and choreographer, Beau “Casper” Smart, and Lopez were first rumored to have been dating in 2011 and apparently continued to date well into 2014. They again dated in 2015 before they split up again in August of 2015. Since then, Lopez has been connected to high profile men such as Drake and Alex Rodriguez. According to Smart, he has nothing but positive feelings in response to her having moved on.

“I want nothing but the best and love [for her],” said Smart, 26 years of age, when asked about her new relationship with New York Yankees slugger, Alex Rodriguez.“[We’re] friends,” said Smart. [We have] nothing but respect and love for each other.”

Although the two have not made it official, sources close to Lopez have confirmed that she is dating Rodriguez. They claim that Lopez is extremely excited about the prospects of a long term relationship with the iconic and infamous baseball star. The two were photographed getting dinner in Miami on Thursday night.

“Jennifer loves Miami. She is having a great time with her kids and A-Rod — she’s very giggly when she talks about him. It actually seems like they’re getting more serious by the minute,” said a source close to Lopez to PEOPLE. “Jennifer thinks the world of A-Rod. She is very impressed and gushes about what a gentleman he is. She’s trying to take things slowly, but she is very excited.”

Categories
Business SCI TECH TECH_Technology

Galaxy Note 9 to launch ahead of schedule

The Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ are seemingly the most remarkable Android smartphones available on the market presently. Nonetheless, the similarities to the previous year’s Galaxy S8 and S8+ models display a current drop in sales due to missing the mark in consumer expectations with design and innovative features. Consequently, the reluctance of consumers to invest several hundreds of dollars or more towards Samsung’s new generation of smartphones is comprehensible.

According to Samsung’s report released last week, the developer is implementing a strategy to launch the Galaxy Note 9 in advance of schedule. The early release is predicted to counterbalance slow-moving Galaxy S9 sales while providing the new smartphone a supplementary period of time prior to the anticipated Apple iPhone X release this coming September.

Purportedly, Samsung’s impending Galaxy Note 9 will highlight a design and specification comparable to the Galaxy Note 8. The new Android is projected to be powered Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 chipset or an Exynos 9810 with a contingency of region. A Super AMOLED display is anticipated for this new smartphone, setting it apart as the greatest quality available.

Samsung is estimated to reveal the Galaxy Note 9 in late summer, with a release scheduled for August or September.