Categories
NONE

Delaware first state to offer sports betting after ban lifted

Delaware will be the first state to offer legal sports gambling when the practice begins at its three casinos Tuesday, ESPN reports.

The state announced Thursday that Delaware Park, Dover Downs Hotel & Casino and Harrington Raceway & Casino will begin taking Las Vegas-style single-game bets on baseball, football, hockey, basketball, soccer, golf and auto racing on Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. Since 2009, Delaware had reportedly been offering parlay betting on NFL games through the state lottery. An estimated $46 million was bet on the NFL in this manner in 2017.

The path to fully legalized sports betting was paved on May 14 when the Supreme Court ruled that the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) of 1992, the federal prohibition on state-sponsored sports betting, was unconstitutional. Delaware was one of several states that received an exemption from PASPA, but was restricted to parlay wagers on only professional football. Beginning Tuesday, single-game wagers will be allowed on anything outside of games involving Delaware-based teams.

“Delaware has all necessary legal and regulatory authority to move forward with a full-scale sports gaming operation, and we look forward to next week’s launch,” Delaware Gov. John Carney said in a release. “We’re hopeful that this will bring even more visitors into Delaware to see firsthand what our state has to offer.”

Categories
SPORT

Bolt stripped of gold medal after teammate loses doping appeal

Jamaican sprinter Nesta Carter’s appeal against disqualification from the 2008 Beijing Olympics was denied by the the Court of Arbitration for Sport Thursday, stripping Usain Bolt of one of his nine goal medals.

According to the Associated Press, a fresh analysis of Beijing samples by the International Olympic Committee in 2016 resulted in Carter testing positive for the stimulant methylhexaneamine. The ruling comes nearly ten years after Carter ran the opening leg of the 4×100 relay team Bolt ran third on, helping Jamaica to the win in a world record time of 37.10. Jamaica was disqualified and stripped of the relay title eight years later, and the ruling had been held up in appeal until Thursday.

The CAS panel said it “could not accept any of the arguments raised by Nesta Carter contending that the test results should be ignored or the IOC (disciplinary) decision should otherwise be overturned for certain alleged failures.”

Jamaica’s disqualification means the gold medals will go to the Trinidad and Tobago team of Keston Bledman, Marc Burns, Emmanuel Callender, Richard Thompson and Aaron Armstrong. The IOC should also upgrade Japan to silver and Brazil to bronze. The disqualification tarnishes Bolt’s perfect Olympic record  of three gold medals in the 100, 200 and 4×100 at three consecutive games in 2008, 2012 and 2016.

Categories
NONE TSC_Global Politics

Taliban secretly talks with Afghan government while violence escalates

The Afghan government and its Taliban adversaries are secretly meeting amid surging warfare across the country, the U.S. military reported Thursday. U.S. officials said that Taliban leaders had rejected an offer from the government to meet back in February but are willing to meet now, raising hopes that the militant group may be willing to start working toward peace.

Fighting between the Taliban and government forces has escalated in recent months. Around 15,000 U.S. troops are still deployed in-country to aid the Afghan government, and on Wednesday, U.S. officials reported that they had killed dozens of Taliban leaders in an operation the week prior. That same day, a Taliban spokesman said that a Taliban militant suicide mission had killed nearly 30 Afghan police officers in the Afghan province of Logar.

“I call this talking and fighting,” U.S. Army General John Nicholson, commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, said in a statement. “And, as [Defense Secretary James N. Mattis] has said, ‘violence and progress can coexist,’ and that’s what we’re seeing.”

The Taliban may be gaining ground, however. U.S. military data released in January said that as of October 2017, about 14% of Afghanistan’s districts were under the influence or control of the Taliban or other insurgent groups.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has said that he would welcome the Taliban into Afghan civil society as a legal political party if they agree to recognize the constitution and end the violence. But Chris Meserole, a Brookings Institution expert on the Middle East, told Newsweek he is skeptical that the Taliban is really interested in peace. They might be expressing interest in talks because they have made military gains and now have “significant leverage with the central government,” he said, adding that “the question is what they’ll use it for.”

Categories
CELEB HOUNDS_Entertainment Music

Kendrick Lamar accepts Pulitzer Prize

Kendrick Lamar accepted the Pulitzer Prize in music for his album DAMN. on Wednesday at Columbia University, according to Page Six.  He is the first rapper in history to receive the award, which has also been given to Duke Ellington, Hank Williams, and Duke Ellington.

Lamar, who did not deliver a speech after accepting the prize, received a standing ovation at the ceremony.

“It’s an honor,” Lamar said during a Facebook Live video stream held after the event. “Been writing my whole life, so to get this type of recognition is beautiful.”

The prize also comes with a $15,000 award, according to Entertainment Tonight, which also reported that Lamar is the most commercially successful musician to receive the award.

The record-breaking album, which was released in April 2017, won a slew of awards prior to the Pulitzer, including Album of the Year at the 2017 BET Hip Hop Awards,  Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album at the 2017 American Music Awards, and Hip-Hop Album of the Year at the 2018 iHeartRadio Music Awards. It also made waves at the 2018 GRAMMYs, where it won Best Rap Album and featured heavily in Lamar’s opening performance, which was also met with a standing ovation.

Categories
CELEB

Michael Jackson’s estate sues Disney, ABC

The estate of Michael Jackson filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against ABC and Disney over the documentary The Last Days of Michael Jackson, Yahoo! reported.

The suit was filed in California’s federal court on Wednesday and alleges that Disney used the Jackson Estate’s intellectual property without obtaining permission or a license for its use.

“For some reason, Disney decided it could just use the Estate’s most valuable intellectual property for free,” the suit reads. “Apparently, Disney’s passion for the copyright laws disappears when it doesn’t involve its own intellectual property and it sees an opportunity to profit off of someone else’s intellectual property without permission or payment.”

The allegedly infringed-on property includes “Billy Jean,” “Beat It,” and “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough,” as well as clips from the music videos for “Thriller” and “Black or White.”

A Disney attorney claimed that the material used fell under fair use laws because the program in question was a documentary. ABC News also responded to the suit through a representative, who said that while the material used does not infringe on the estate’s rights in any way, a specific image was removed from promotional materials as a courtesy to the estate.

Categories
SPORT

Idaho youth football team rescues car crash victims

Members of a youth football team in Boise, Idaho were returning home from a tournament over the Memorial Day weekend when they saved a couple from a car that crashed right in front of them.

According to the Idaho Statesman, The Black Knights, a team of 12-14-year-old football players, were on their way home from the Bay Area Spring Football League (BASFL) Tournament in San Jose on Monday when a car rolled over in front of one of the three vans the team was traveling in. The players and coaches reportedly got out of their van and rushed to the scene of the crash.

“We had to stop and become heroes. It was just a little adversity. … It’s almost an unreal story,” said coach Rudy Jackson.

Regan Magill, a player on the team who took the video of the incident, said the red Jeep in front of them rolled over four times before landing on its hood on the side  of the road.

“We stopped because we care about others before ourselves,” Magill said. “We just wanted to know if they were OK. It wasn’t really something we thought about. We just instantly pulled over.”

Team members pulled the driver from the car then pushed on the the side of the overturned car to raise it up enough for another player to grab the woman stuck inside.

“It just felt amazing that we could do what we did because I don’t want to imagine what would happen if we were not there to help,” Magill said.

The Black Knights were heroes on the field as well, defeating a team from San Jose to win the BASFL tournament.

Categories
HOUNDS_Entertainment NONE

Meek Mill’s lawyers reveal damaging new evidence against Judge Genece Brinkley

Although Meek Mill and his team earned a major win by getting the rapper released from prison last month, they continue to fight for justice within his ongoing case. And despite continuous denial for the removal of Judge Genece Brinkley from the case, the release of damaging new evidence could help their argument.

The new evidence comes in the form of a civil suit previously filed by Brinkley, in which she claims to have suffered from severe brain trauma due to a 2016 car accident.

In the suit, Brinkley claims to have suffered “severe injuries in and about the head, body” which may be “serious, severe and permanent.”

“In particular, plaintiff sustained severe head trauma, concussion, dizziness, headaches, holes and tears in retina of both eyes, trauma to both hands, neck pain, lumbar spine strain and sprain, knee sprain and pain, and other orthopedic and neurological injuries,” the suit states. “The full extent of which has not yet been fully determined; she suffered severe injuries to her nerves and nervous system with resulting emotional distress.”

Meek’s lawyers claim that the suit suggests Brinkley could have suffered permanent injuries that might have impacted her work after the accident.

Brinkey has not yet responded to the evidence.

Categories
Music NONE

Pusha-T says Drake is ‘silent on all black issues.’

Pusha-T claims that Drake’s recent explanation of his blackface photo “doesn’t change my view at all” during a Pitchfork interview at Los Angeles’ Real 92.3 that took place on Thursday.

The Clipse rapper dismissed the response, pointing to Drake’s lack of black activism, despite being one of the biggest artists in the world.

“You are silent on all black issues, Drake,” he said. “You don’t stand for nothing, you don’t say nothing about nothing.”

“You have all the platform in the world,” he continued. “You were so passionate back then? No you weren’t. That’s number one. That’s what I know.”

After the premiere of his recent diss track, Pusha-T detailed the source of the photo via Twitter, linking to the photographer’s website, and writing, “These are his truths, see for yourself.”

The controversial blackface photo has also elicited an explanation from the Canadian streetwear brand Too Black Guys, which made the “Jim Crow” shirt that Drake is wearing in the photo.

“We feel that Drake, who is a long-time friend of the brand, was brilliantly illustrating the hypocrisy of the Jim Crow Era,” they said. “The subtleties of Drake, a young black man, mimicking how white men used to mimic and dehumanize black people may be lost in a rap battle, but we should not be distracted from the issues that are still affecting our communities.”

Categories
Music NONE

NOFX lose beer sponsorship and festival headlining set following Las Vegas shooting joke

During their performance at the Punk Rock Bowling & Music Festival in Las Vegas on Sunday, NOFX made a joke about the Las Vegas shooting that fans were not happy with.

“I guess you only get shot in Vegas if you’re in a country band,” said guitarist Eric Melvin.

“At least they were country fans and not punk rock fans,” frontman Fat Mike responded.

The Stone Brewing Co., the San Diego Brewery behind NOFX’s beer and musical festival called Punk in Drublic, dropped their support for the band.

“We at Stone Brewing are aware of NOFX’s insensitive and indefensible statements this past weekend,” a company representative said in a statement. “As a result, we are severing all our ties with NOFX, including festival sponsorship and the production of our collaboration beer.”

Not only that, the CAMP Punk in Drublic music festival just announced that NOFX and singer Fat Mike’s group Me First and the Gimme Gimmes have been removed from the festival.

“While NOFX is known for their dark, uncomfortable humor, the festival producers of Camp Punk in Drublic are shocked and disappointed by the band’s recent statements about the Route 91 Harvest Festival victims and country music fans,” they said.” These statements do not reflect the feelings or views of the Camp Punk in Drublic festival, its staff, or its sponsors.”

They also claim that they will make a donation to “a fund benefitting those affected by the 2017 tragedy.”

“I can’t sleep, no one in my band can,” NOFX said in a Facebook post. “What we said in Vegas was shitty and insensitive and we are all embarrassed by our remarks. So we decided we will all get together to discuss and write an in depth, sincere, and honest apology because that’s what the people we offended and hurt deserve.”

Categories
SPORT

Zidane steps down as Real Madrid manager

Zinedine Zidane announced his decision to resign from his post as manager of Real Madrid on Thursday, less than one week after winning his third straight UEFA Champions League title with the club.

Zidane announced the stunning development at an impromptu press conference in which he left room for a possible return in the future.

“I’ve taken the decision not to not continue next year as Real Madrid coach,” Zidane said, according to The Independent. “Like I told the president, it could be a ‘see you soon’ because Madrid has given me everything. I will still be close to the club, but this decision is a clear one that might not make sense to some people, but it is the moment to make a change, for the players as well. Im not going to coach another team right now. I’m not looking for another team…now is the time for them to have a different voice in the changing room. ”

Zidane took the Real Madrid reins in January of 2016 after Rafael Benitez was ousted. He went on to lead Real to their 11th Champions League trophy that year, beating Atletico Madrid on penalties. The club also finished second in La Liga in 2016.

The 45-year-old Frenchman also added two UEFA Super Cups, two FIFA Club World Cups and a Spanish Super Cup to his trophy case as Real’s manager.