Commercial bones treats may be hazardous to a dog’s health, according to a new report put out by the Food and Drug Administration.
This month, the organization updated its website to include a series of new reports regarding illnesses and deaths associated with processed bone treats. Nearly 70 dogs have become sick from processed and packaged bones, and 15 have died, Newsweek reports.
Those numbers are nearly double the last reported dog-treat-linked death toll linked that came out in 2015. Dogs who have become ill have experienced numerous symptoms, including vomiting, choking, and stomach issues. Some bones have also looked moldy, and others have splintered or broken when chewed on.
While the reports does not list and specific brands, some products associated with the injuries include “Ham Bones,” “Pork Femur Bones,” “Rib Bones,” and “Smokey Knuckle Bones.”
“Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet,” said Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian at FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine, according to Fox News.
These new issues are concerning, and they come out on top of other past treat concerns. For instance, by the end of 2015, more than 1,000 dogs had died, and over 6,000 fell sick, after eating jerky pet treats. Though many of the illnesses were linked to treats imported from China, they are hard to track because manufacturers are not required to list the country of origin for each ingredient in their products.
This new report is concerning and shows people need to take caution when buying their pets treats for the holiday season. However, despite the danger, the FDA reports there are still many health treats to feed your pets. The agency urges people to talk to their veterinarians to discover safe alternatives.
If anyone believes their pet became ill after eating a treat, they can report it online.